An American Classic
Posted by Mike | 11:55 AM |Apple pie.
So, I'm standing at the Dunkin' Donuts counter this morning and I notice they have apple pie for the season. Underneath the professionally photographed picture by the million dollar marketing agency, it says "An American classic." and I began to think of the good ol' days. Ah yes, I remember when Grammy would go to the cupboard and break out the high fructose corn syrup, chemical preservatives, industrial strength reconstituted apple pieces with added apple flavoring... wait a minute, maybe I 'misunderestimated' their meaning of an American classic.
The American classic I remember was a little different. Apples for apple pie didn't require a can opener, just a paring knife to peel and cut them. Apples, of course, came from a local orchard or the apple tree out back. Pie crust ingredients were mixed in a bowl, and the crust rolled out with a rolling pin. The finished pies were not perfectly shaped, or full of gooey filling. They were full of big chunks of real apples that tasted like apples. Sadly, those days are only memories now, and I guess you really can't blame corporate America for trying to create appeal for their 'food' (technically it is still food.)
Maybe I'll get brave and try a Dunkin' Donuts apple pie flavored... um, apple pie 'thing.' On second thought, maybe I won't. I'd probably have to peel the "made in China" sticker off the bottom of it anyway. I think it's time to visit a local orchard and try to bake my own apple pie.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
just popped on to see if you had added anything to your "lost" blog. so happy to see you write again. wonderful thoughts. you would enjoy living here. you can open a store and i can bake goods to sell to the locals.
Post a Comment