Garden 2012

| |

Garden 2012... sounds like a new version of sofware from Microsoft! I got my tiller back from North Country Tractor yesterday, it runs again. They gave it a tune up and changed the oil and filters. It had been sitting in the basement for years without being run, so it didn't want to start and stay running this year when I took it out. I got it to run last year but it didn't sound very good when it was running, so I figured it was due for a tune up.

Yesterday was cloudy and in the low 60s. Yeah, nice fricken' weather to kick off the 'un-official' start of summer up here at the north pole... I mean, New Hampshire. Anyway, the rain held off for the afternoon so I did get the garden all tilled. It was starting to look like a field! But that's good because it means the soil is rich and that's good for growing veggies. I remember one year when I took the tiller to Massachusetts to till a small area for Grammy DeSantis, the soil in their garden was like rich moist powdered dark chocolate from years and years of working the gardens she and Grampy had.


Mike Jr. is here for Memorial Day weekend, and now that the garden is all ready for planting, that will probably be our plans for today. We'll go buy some cherry tomato plants and any seeds we need to get started. Later on we are going to have hamburgers on the grill for lunch, and for supper I got some nice thick ribeye steaks. We're going to grill those up with some red peppers, onions and baked potato with sour cream. I even have one jar of green beans left from last year's garden that we can eat with supper.

1 comment:

Betsy said...

Good looking dirt up there in the North Pole! Have you been composting? This year I'm planting by the moon signs and advise from the local farmers here. Went to our Farmers' Market in town this morning and bought 2 great bunches of fresh beets. This is such an exciting time of year. We've been eating lettuce from the garden for weeks, have a few more weeks worth if it doesn't get too hot. You and Mike Jr have a wonderful long weekend. Wish we lived closer. As soon as you move to VA, we'll be able to stay with you a few days then visit Lauria and gang.

Post a Comment